Prep time 45 minutes
Baking Time 20 minutes
Serves 24 large cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 8-oz. can of crushed pineapple, well drained
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Small pinch of ground cloves
- 3 cups grated carrots, grate on larger side of cheese grater or use food processor
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh coconut, shaved and toasted for garnish (optional). Toast on 350 for 7-10 minutes until crispy.
How to make it:
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
· In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, apple sauce, sugars, pineapple and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
· Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and small pinch of ground cloves.
· Stir in carrots.
· Fold in pecans.
· Pour into muffin tin lined with beautiful paper or foil liners.
· Fill each liner 3/4 full.
· Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 min.
· Let cupcakes cool completely.
· While cooling, prepare frosting.
· In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
· Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
· Pile the frosting high on the cooled cupcakes and garnish with the toasted coconut if desired.
*** My first attempt at cupcakes and frosting from scratch. Worth every second. They came out PERFECT! I bought to-go pans with lids from the supermarket and also delivered plates of cupcakes to our lovely neighbors.