I had never tried Apple Butter and always hear such good things about it. I decided to Google a ton of recipes and basically create my own recipe by combining different one’s. Here’s my approach on what is a yummy treat on top of toast and a lovely gift for your friends, family, and neighbors during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Perfect for the holidays!
- 5 pounds (about 10 large) mixed apples, peeled, cored, and cut into medium-size pieces
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups fresh apple cider
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Turn a slow cooker on high and add all ingredients. Cover and cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Mixture should be bubbling vigorously.
With the lid set slightly ajar, and reduce the heat to Low. Continue cooking until apple butter is dark brown and thick, 7 to 8 hours. I did this part overnight.
- In the morning, Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze. I used wide mouth half pint jars. They sell a dozen for $12 at Albertson’s.
- You can cut pieces of material to put in between the lid and ring. These were perfect Thanksgiving gifts for our friends, family, and neighbors.