We were going camping with our new dual-sport club and heard it was one of the clubs member’s birthdays. Instead of baking a cake, I decided to make these margarita shooters the day prior so that we could celebrate with Jell-O shots! These came out so good and everyone enjoyed them.
Yields: 24-30 Strawberry Margarita Jell-O Shooters
- 1 box (3.9oz.) Strawberry (real, not generic) Jell-O
- 3 green baskets of fresh strawberries from the farm (about 24-30 strawberries)
- 8 ounces tequila, preferably reposado or blanco (1 cup)
- 6 ounce Cointreau (3/4 cup)
- Kosher Salt for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into small triangles and cut a slit to fit onto side of strawberry
- Cut the bottoms of the strawberry flat to get them to stand upright. When you do so, make sure that you do not cut off so much that there is a hole at the bottom.
- Use a huller or apple corer to empty out the strawberry.
- Once the strawberries have been emptied, use a towel to pat the outside of the strawberries dry.
- Check each strawberry and make sure there is not a hole in the bottom before you start filling.
- Boil one cup of hot water in a saucepan, then add in Jell-O powder and whisk until powder is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Set aside. Measure out 1/4 cup of cold water and set aside.
- Combine tequila and Cointreau, in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Add liquor mixture to cold water and stir to combine. Then add cold liqueur mixture to hot Jell-O mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour final Jell-O mix into strawberries and chill overnight. Fill your strawberries as high as possible, as the Jell-O will sink a bit in the middle. These are best made the night before and served the next day.
- Dip your finger in water or use a moistened brush to wet the edge of the strawberries, dip and rotate the strawberries in salt to rim. Garnish with cut lime triangles to finish.