* 6 egg yolks – throw away egg whites or save them for an omelet!
* 1 1/4 cups white sugar
* 1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese
* 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
* 3 packages lady fingers (approx. 36 lady fingers total) – found in bakery section at Albertson’s
* 1/3 cup Kahlua or Amaretto
* 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (dust)
* 1 (1 ounce) square semi-sweet chocolate (shaved)
Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler. I do this over boiling water.
Reduce heat to low. Cook for about 10 minutes and don’t go anywhere! Stir it constantly whipping it until its thick.
Add in the mascarpone to the whipped yolks. Beat until combined.
Pull your chilled bowl out of freezer and whip the cream until the stiff peaks are formed. This will take at least 5 minutes.
Gently fold the whipped cream into yolk mixture and set aside.
Pull the Lady fingers apart.
Line the bottom and sides of your serving dish with the lady fingers. I used a bread pan but there are many creative dishes you can use.
Brush the lady fingers with the Kahlua or Amaretto. I used Kahlua.
Spoon a half cup or so of cream filling over the lady fingers.
Now you are going to layer – using lady fingers, Kahlua and filling.
Keep going till you run out of lady fingers.
The top layer of filling is finished off with cocoa or chocolate curls or both. I used both!
*Notes: Refrigerate overnight highly recommended.