WHICH CRUST TO USE: Dough or Graham Cracker or Both? http://neighborchicks.blogspot.com/2012/11/pie-dough-pie-crust.html = Pie Dough CRUST (Double the recipe for crust decorations) or use Graham Cracker Crust http://neighborchicks.blogspot.com/2012/11/graham-cracker-pie-crust.html
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Pinch of salt
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 13-inch round a scant 1/4 inch thick. Fit the dough into a 10-inch glass pie plate and trim the overhang to 3/4 inch. Fold the dough under itself and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate the pie shell for 10 minutes.
- Line the pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in the center of the oven until nearly set, about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake until the crust is pale golden, about 10 minutes longer. Let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch, cinnamon, cloves and salt until smooth. Whisk in the pumpkin puree then whisk in the cream. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat until the whites are glossy, about 1 minute longer. Fold the beaten whites into the filling. Working near the oven, pour the filling into the crust. Bake the pie for about 45 minutes, until the custard is set and the top is cracked; cover the edge of the crust with strips of foil if it browns too quickly. *If you want to add cute cut-out decorations with the crust, pull the pie out after the first 25 minutes, add the decorated dough, and finish baking for the additional 20 minutes.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack completely before serving.
- Add your favorite whip cream around the edges or in between the crust decorations in the center or the pie.
*** For this pie I used a graham cracker crust on the bottom and the pie dough for the top crust and decorated crust. I just really love a graham cracker crust for pumpkin pie!
Swirl 3 oz. of Bittersweet melted chocolate through your pumpkin pie before baking…You can also use ramekins and create little mini chocolate pumpkin pies: